While people may have a plethora of opinions about social media, the undeniable fact for all business owners is that social media is where their customers are. A good social media presence and strategy is therefore pivotal to the growth of any business. Here is a list of 5 social media gurus we think you should follow and learn from, especially if you are trying to grow your business:
1. Gary Vaynerchuk: If you are looking for insightful information on entrepreneurship and a real-life example on how social media transformed his business, Gary Vaynerchuk is the man to follow. Known primarily for growing his father’s wine business exponentially, he is also the cofounder of VaynerMedia, a digital agency that handled social media accounts of high-end, publicly listed companies like General Electric and PepsiCo. His content mostly revolves around how businesses should employ social media strategies that work based on the current market trends and not just on case studies.
2. Neil Patel: Hailed as one of the ‘top 10 online marketers’ by Forbes Magazine, Neil Patel is the person to follow if you are serious about getting your social media marketing game on point. From selling CDs and Vacuum cleaners to sweeping up the trash, Patel did a lot of odd jobs before he founded KissMetrics, a platform that helps you track and understand user behavior on your website. His blogs and posts mostly focus on how to get your marketing strategy right and how to interpret the backend data that your social media posts generate.
3. Elon Musk: Known for creating ripples on social media through his eccentric posts, Elon Musk is probably not a name you were expecting to see on this list. We feel there is a great deal that can be learnt from his social media tactics. A five-word tweet from him about Tesla has had the power to move stocks to unprecedented levels. While there has been a lot of debates on the authenticity of his tweets and other posts, we would still recommend following this billionaire tech mogul for his sheer capability of truly understanding the power social media has and the wonders it can work for businesses.
4. Ellen DeGeneres: If there was an award we could give to the social media personality who has the best understanding of her audience, it would undoubtedly go to Ellen DeGeneres. With a social media following of over 150 million, her posts are just the right blend of humor, information and inspiration, creating a unique recipe for all her followers. Her posts are also very high on the interaction factor, as she encourages her followers to share their views on pertinent matters as well. She does justice to all social media platforms and strikes the right balance between promoting her brand and endorsing social causes. DeGeneres surely understands the nuances of social media and following her would surely be a great learning experience.
5. Michael Schiemer: If you are looking to build a business from scratch with limited investments, Michael Schiemer should be on the top of your list. This social media specialist who ranks in the top 100 social influencers is known for his ability to generate appealing results for companies with budget constraints. He has an impressive social media following as his posts revolve around the simplicity of social media and how to use it to the fullest, even when you are on a tight budget.
While these are a few social media personalities you can start to follow in your quest to grow your business, you have to understand that the top players in this game keep changing constantly as there are no fixed rules. We encourage you to do your own research which extends beyond this list and find social media personalities who inspire you and help you transform your social media vision.